Here are 8 things you need to know when looking for a protective hat:
- Choose White or a Light Color. Most people only consider the color – not the coverage – when choosing a sun hat. We are more concern if the hat is matching their outfit or attitude. Color is important because it helps determine whether sun rays will be bounced off or reflected off your face. White or light-colored hats will reflect the heat from the sun. Darker colors absorb the heat – just like a black car instead of a white one. The rays are absorbed rather than reflected.
- The Hat Must Be Impenetrable. You will now find companies actually rating hats and the protection they provide! Look for a hat that has an SPF of 50! A lot of good hats aren’t rated. Can you see sunlight through it? Then it’s not helping! . Some of the best materials used to make sun hats are natural straw, cotton or hemp
- The circumference brim needs to be a minimum of 5 inches. The brim must be firm. It should not move, fold, or buckle in the wind. Why? That leaves your skin open to the sun’s rays. Do not use a tennis/visor type billed at. Why? It doesn’t protect you enough! The sides of your face, neck and ears are completely exposed.
- Your entire scalp should be covered. Men, especially with thinning hair should be wearing a hat to protect their scalp skin long before they begin balding.
- It needs to stay on your head and not blow off! An adjustable brim is the best, as you can create the perfect size for yourself!
- Keep one in your car and one in your home. When you find yourself walking to and from your home, You probably need one in both places, especially if you don’t park in a garage where your skin is protected.
- Think about what you’re doing What activity are you doing? A trip, no matter where needs to have a hat packed! Maybe you need a string around the neck, a wider or narrow brim, or something a bit stiffer.
- It protects your hair! Wearing a hat, if it’s not too tight or hot can provide complete protection from sun rays that might damage the hair or the scalp.
Besides a protective hat, you should also consider using our Skin and Lip Balm to protect the damages sun and wind can cause.